For over 100 years, the Grosse Pointe Hunt Club has been known as a center for riding excellence in the Detroit area and across the state. Originally founded as a foxhunting club, interest in other equestrian activities – from recreational to competition riding and jumping – grew throughout the decades. Accordingly, the facilities evolved and expanded to include a full-service barn, stables and professional riding staff. Soon, GPHC-trained riders were winning ribbons all over the Midwest. And with the addition of both indoor and outdoor show rings, by 1916, the Grosse Pointe Hunt Club was hosting highly regarded horse shows, attracting riders and spectators from near and far.
The Hunt Club went through a social transformation as well throughout the past century. At one time, it had a clubhouse with restaurant, an outdoor swimming pool and a strong tennis program with indoor and outdoor courts.
While we no longer provide the exclusive country club-style facilities of clubhouse and pool, our equestrian heritage is stronger than ever, and The Grosse Pointe Hunt Club continues to be an icon for the community today. We will always be proud of our Club’s history, and often smile as we think of the stories these walls could tell. But we are more excited than ever to be able to focus on our popular tennis programs and continue to build on the heritage of our illustrious equestrian program.